sherriwright395

Felicity E. Heaton
Shades of Blue Boxed Set
Hildie McQueen
Ministry Protocol: Thrilling Tales of the Ministry of Peculiar Occurrences
Lauren Harris, Peter Woodworth, Glenn Freund, Jared Axelrod, Tiffany Trent, Deliliah Dawson, Karina Cooper, Leanna Renee Hieber, Tee Morris, Pip Ballantine

Darklands: A Vampire's Tale

Darklands: A Vampire's Tale - Donna Burgess Darklands is a novel that takes a fresh look at those vampires we all love so much and is the journey of Susan Archer in becoming one. It all started on a Halloween evening 20 years ago. A murder and an encounter with a vampire forever changed her life. Susan was bitten that night by Devin, but his murder of her brother forces him to retreat from her life and wait for the perfect moment to enter it again.

Fast forward 20 years. Susan’s life is going no where. She has a loving boyfriend, Michael, but her life is basically going nowhere. When Devin rescues here from a vicious attack, she recognizes him from the night of her brother’s murder. Susan and Devin’s attraction is still scorching, twenty years has done nothing to lessen it, she is still attracted and drawn to him like no other man. Devin’s second bite completes her transformation and she flees Michael with Devin, fearing what she may do to him.

Susan’s journey into becoming a Deathwalker is very stark and at times a bit graphic. She accepts her new life openly but at times questions what she is becoming along the way, so it was believable to me. Her relationships with Michael and Devin were a pleasure to read. I enjoyed both of their characters, but of course had my favorite on who I wanted her to end up with.

The book has some flashback’s which at times were a bit hard to keep up with. However, since much of the book is about “old” history and how it is affecting the characters that it enhanced the story. Kasper is one of those “old” history items. His history with Devin is intense and brutal and adds a complexity and depth to the story. Both have approached their resurrections in different ways and it was intriguing to read their backgrounds.

My only negative review comment is in regards to the books editing, which had numerous spelling and syntax errors. But those can be easily fixed. Overall, Darklands was a good book with characters and a story that I enjoyed. I look forward to reading the next book in the series.