sherriwright395

Felicity E. Heaton
Shades of Blue Boxed Set
Hildie McQueen
Ministry Protocol: Thrilling Tales of the Ministry of Peculiar Occurrences
Lauren Harris, Peter Woodworth, Glenn Freund, Jared Axelrod, Tiffany Trent, Deliliah Dawson, Karina Cooper, Leanna Renee Hieber, Tee Morris, Pip Ballantine

Killing Rocks (The Bloodhound Files, Book 3)

Killing Rocks - D.D. Barant Killing Rocks
Finished: 5/4/11

★★½

Killing Rocks is the third novel in The Bloodhound Files. This book thrusts FBI profiler Jace Valchek into the middle of interspecies war and another dimension, while tracking down a serial killer and trying to locate a powerful sorcerer that could send her home.

Sound like a like going on? Well, not so much. I found the pacing of this book fragmented. It kept jumping from dimensions and in and out of myth portals and the story never flowed for me. I especially was disappointed in the lack of established characters that I loved in the past two books, (ie. Cassius, Charlie and gang) being part of the story. It felt that they just made a guest appearance but there was minimal interaction with Jace and little character growth. There are a whole slew of new characters, the most interesting is Azura, a shape changing mage, stripper, and spy, but even she can’t save the story.

Overall, there is little development in the overall story or characters established in the first two books. The only highlight is that wise cracking Jace and her witty sarcasm, which bounces off most of the new character. Killing Rocks was a bit of a disappointment for me since I thoroughly enjoyed (and recommend) the first two books. Not sure how I feel about reading the next, I will just have to wait and see.